Friday, January 21, 2011

I Get to Talk Endlessly About Myself? Ok!

My last post was on Sunday. This isn't an indication of me being a slacker or uninspired, this is one of those cases where "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."
The vehicle that I've been driving hasn't started in over a week. When your car doesn't start and you have places to be, you have to start asking people for favors. Now, there are some people in the world who don't mind asking for favors and then there are other people [neon sign with blinking arrows pointing down at me while I stare, oblivious, into the camera] who would really, really rather not. Asking for a ride to work conjures up too many feelings of insecurity and inadequacy. I question my ability to be a successful adult. I start listing all of the things in my life that I have sufficiently fucked up and all of the reasons why I'll never be good enough and then on the very top, I'll throw on "and no one will ever love you!!" And when girl's in that mood, who wants to listen to anything she has to say? So all week long she just went to bed at 9:00 pm and woke up and went to work and came home and went to bed so as not to subject you to her moodiness.
BUT, I'm coming out of the funk. The car is currently in the shop and by the end of the day I'll be able to go to the grocery store and buy more tofu without having to browse my contacts list and wondering who's not sick of me begging and being over appreciative. I'm sure that's more trouble to put up with.
Any.Way. All that to say that I'm coming out of it but I haven't actually been in a very bloggy zone lately so I'm taking a prompt. My friend, Deanna, talked about Roots and Rings and how every Tuesday, they have ten questions to answer. Sounds simple enough but this kind of stuff is certainly on my list of favorite things ever. I mean, you ask me questions and I get to talk endlessly about myself? Blogging is so masturbatory.

I really like the idea of having some stability and predictability, too. So maybe I'll do Ten on Tuesdays every Friday. And with that, I give you: The Ten.

1. What’s your favorite color to paint your nails? I bit my fingernails for as long as I could remember. When I was a senior in college, I decided that I would start experimenting with something called self-control. I amazed myself when I actually trained myself to stop biting them. I felt like I could do anything. And when I find myself in a situation that I think I'll never get out of, I pep talk myself with, "You bit your fingernails for 23 years!! And now you don't." And usually that works.
That being said, my fingernails still feel like a brand new accessory. Black is my favorite. I love it more than anything. But I can't paint them that color anymore because, no matter what you do or how you apply it, it always chips. Especially in the wintertime when my body is thiscloseto just flaking into a million pieces from dryness. Fantasy aside, nudes are so in right now and I've been wearing Rimmel London's Bare Naked. It's brilliant because I can wear one coat and my nails just look like a much more dignified plain. Or I can apply three coats and it's a gorgeous, matte nude. I'll bet boys are thrilled with this topic. Moving on.
2. Do you like to sneeze? Think of it this way, sneezing is a miniscule bit of your day when you have absolutely no control over yourself. When I'm in public and I sneeze, I'm a little embarrassed. Simply because I was out of control for a second (reason number one for why I'm not a fan of public drunkenness). When I'm driving and I sneeze, I'm a little terrified for different aspects of the very same reason. But when I'm alone, in my house and I sneeze--I love it. A lot. [Side note, you can be in control of your sneeze and here's how: grab a kleenex. It will get disappointed and leave. Every time.]
3. How often do you fill up your car with gas? Every payday. Because girl's got priorities. I needsta get to places.
4. Were you named after anyone? I don't believe that my first name was specifically chosen after anyone. It has been discussed that my dad had an aunt named Libby but that wasn't intentional, I don't believe. My middle name is Marie. I realize that "Marie" is the middle name for 80% of girls born in the 80's but it's also my mom's middle name and I've always kind of secretly loved that we have that in common. Because, let's be honest, there's not a whole lot else that we have in common. I still maintain that I will never actively pursue having children, but if I happened to have a daughter I would probably make her middle name "Marie" just so that we could all have that in common.
5. Have you made any good recipes lately? Of course. Most recently, I had roasted potatoes for lunch. I cut them into wedges and then tossed them in olive oil and salt and tons of black pepper. I am currently more in love with black pepper than I am with any other flavor. I put it on my popcorn, French fries, noodles with butter... everything gets it. Also, I'm learning to cook with tofu and I'm really excited about that experience.
I think that this weekend I'm going to make very simple, undressed, basic chocolate chip cookies. No nuts. No fancy flours. Not even cinnamon (which is my second favorite flavor). I'm going to feel like a kid again.
6. What’s an easy money-saving tip that you use regularly? When it comes to anything other than groceries, patience is key. It will go on sale and if you still want it next week then you'll know that you really want it. Groceries, though, buy generic. I have come into some knowledge recently that I will share with you: A lot of the times, generic grocery items are produced on the exact same assembly lines as name brand stuff. I know for a fact that the Walmart brand of milk IS Highland milk, it's just cheaper. Because it is--don't ask questions. The same thing with a lot of frozen and canned vegetables. Now, there are some things that you just know in your heart is better by the brand. Salad dressings, coffee, peanut butter, pickles: I have a brand loyalty to these items. So save in other areas.
7. Would you rather have a sore throat or an ear ache? Sore throat, hands down. In my mind there is nothing worse than an ear ache. When I was little, I had chronic ear infections and there is nothing more miserable. With a sore throat you can drink tea and eat ice cream. With an ear ache, there's nothing to do except slam your head against the wall until you pass out.
8. Do you have any scars? What are they from? I have dozens of cooking-related scars. There's a scar on my lip from when I was little and my older brother tried to remove my face with a swing set. You can't really see the scar, but you can [ok, you probably can't but I can] tell that my right side and left side are not symmetrical. I like that about my lips. Also a scar on my knee from the first time that I, literally, shaved my legs.
9. What are you “known for” in your circle of friends/family? Um... I'm the one who... [fills her cheeks with air and releases it while her eyes dart around the room. This goes on for several minutes.]
10. How do you like to eat your pancakes? With butter and a fork.

Also, I'm tossing around the idea of moving my blog to another host. Would you follow me there if I went?

1 comment:

Post a Comment