Friday, August 20, 2010

A Project

Dear Lovers and Friends--
I have an idea. Let me give you some background.
Why do I write in the first place? Quite honestly, it's really because I think that ordinary life is the most brilliant, underrated and over-ignored gift that everyone is entitled to but nobody wants. I think that everyday stuff--taking out the garbage, drinking coffee, and listening to your best friend go on and on about this one guy that I kinda like but, I don't know, maybe he doesn't like me--but maybe I don't like him--but maybe I do--omg he is sooo cute. If a life could have a thesis, and I challenge that every life does, mine would be that those things, the little things are actually the big things dressed in sweat pants.
There are big things in your life that wear church clothes and they are huge and impossible to forget: weddings, funerals, baby showers, coming-of-age road trips. Those things are massive and exciting and expensive and in no way definitive of one's character. How long has it been since she's done her dishes? Can he tell you about his favorite Greek Myth? These are the things that no one thinks about and they're delicious humanity. God, I love humanity. I think those things deserve all the attention that the grandiose events get. Everything is epic, if you ask me.
So, to the project. Not so much a project as a personal challenge. I'm going to write about something very ordinary (or not so ordinary--but true nonetheless) that happened in my life every day. But not like a regular, "this is what I think about..." blogy way. Like, more like a story. I'm going to make my life a story. Every day. I work best with goals. Small goals to begin with. There's a week and a half left in August--let's say I'll do it every day for the rest of August and hopefully after that I'll really want to keep going. And hopefully by then you'll start thinking of yourself as a character in your story, too.
I wrote one about the very nice yesterday I had but, frankly, I don't really want to post that one all up on the interwebs. Suffice it to say that they won't all be on the internet--but most will. Friends all know they can ask to see it--that does not guarantee a yes, however. But still ask.

Anyhow, all that to say that I'll see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment