Saturday, July 24, 2010

Welcome Home


I certainly did not expect to be faced with the question of where I want to spend the next year of my life--not today anyway. Today was a day of fun and productivity. I have a load of laundry started and I'm three pages in on a story that I'm certain could turn into a novel if I allow it to do so. And then I checked my mail and what do I see but a letter from my landlord.

So, I'm holding in my hands a lease extension agreement and I can't really help but think of what was the original plan. McPherson was a temporary solution to a temporary problem and a pit-stop on my journey toward Colorado to live with my friends. I was going to spend just a little time getting to know Miss Niece and Mr. Nephew so that they would know who I was and then I'd be off and start my real life.

But then some other things happened in the course of only a year. A year does not take very long and in a year a lot of things can change. Also, in other ways, nothing has changed at all. But today, July 24, 2010 is so very different than July 24, 2009 was. Nothing is different but everything has changed. For example, I have five and a half more family members than I did a year ago.

I didn't try very hard to organize my house the way that I wanted it. I have, honestly, never cleaned my bedroom. Everything was so temporary and I didn't want to put in too much effort. It took me a long time to even try to make any friends. I didn't want to get all invested and then leave. But, whether you want to or not, people come around and some people are interesting and some people are more interesting than you'd originally anticipated and other people like you and, well, you just go with it. So I'm going with it. Not only that, but I have a job that I actually like and I don't want to leave that just because of Plan A.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've had a lot of temporary stops in life and I've officially been here for longer than I've ever been anywhere and it feels really, really good. It feels like home and I'm going to renew that lease and paint the trim in the livingroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment